Thursday, October 13, 2011

More the Day Before

Greetings from Kansas City, MO! Yesterday I took two classes, both of which were for table runners. That's a bit ironic, as I normally never make table runners, because it's something neither I nor anyone I know uses. I signed up for the classes, hoping to simply end up with blocks that I could use in a different way than as a table runner.

In the morning, I took a class from a woman named Kim Montagnese, from Amherst Ohio, called "Flashing Fins." I'm still feeling a bit under the weather, so I'm pacing myself a bit, and during this morning's class, I just listened, read through the pattern, and made sure I understood the concepts. Then I went back to my room and took a nap. So at the moment, I have nothing of my own to show, but here are her blocks that she had in class:




Our kit is to make two blocks, and I'm planning to either make more blocks to make a quilt, or use those two blocks as sort of "orphan blocks," and set them together in a sampler or random kind of quilt. I'm sure you'll be seeing those pictures eventually. Back in my room in the evening, I did trace the shapes I needed onto Do-Sew, but I want to do the sewing at home, in my own space.

Then in the afternoon, I took a class from Connie Spurlock, of Coeur d'Alene, ID, called Turkey Trot. Here's a picture of the sample of the class project:


I got my turkey appliques made, and I've decided I'm going to applique them to tea towels when I get home. So for now, they're as far along as I can get them. Aren't they cute?:


I'll post pictures again when these turn into actual finished projects. For now, they can stay as they are. Today the show opens -- I have a little time in the morning, and a few hours in the afternoon when I'll be able to shop and/or do make-it-and-take-it projects. Today's classes are a bit of a mixed bag -- I'll be making a beaded flower pin from a hankie, working on a Storm at Sea quilt (from a precut kit, yay!), and learning hand piecing. Pictures of the results of those classes tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by to play. Come back again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment