Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Year of Stash Socks -- January project yarns

My book for the one YOSS project came in yesterday's mail, so I was able to choose my yarn and wind it into a ball and take its picture. First is that yarn, for the project called Changeling. It's from Cherry Tree Hill, a yarn called Soft Twist. The colorway is one of their Potluck runs, and it's called "Awakening."





Next, for the project called St. Brigid's Carnamoyle Stockings, I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Wheat.





In my experience, Wool-Ease isn't great for socks, as it tends to get pilly. I suppose I could avoid some of that by hand washing the socks, but if I'm honest, I have to say I probably won't do that. The point of the YOSS is to use stash if you have it, and the good yarns I have of the appropriate weight for this project are earmarked for sweaters and such. So I'll use the Wool-Ease, and have the experience of making this pattern and learning what I can from it. If they don't last too long before they get pilly, I'll just enjoy them as long as I can, and then wear them around the house after that.


Finally, for the "plain vanilla" socks for January, I'm planning to use this yarn from Online. That's a funny company name, but that's what it says on the ball, big as can be. I can't tell if there's a color name on the band, because none of it's in English.




I think it'll work up into a pretty interesting pair of socks -- my DH has already expressed an interest in them, so I'll make them for him. He loves fun and quirky socks, which means he never fusses about my yarn stash, as long as I make him a pair of socks from time to time. Actually, he wouldn't fuss anyhow, because he's a great guy and understands about these obsessions that feed my soul.

I'm ready to cast on all three of these socks come January 1! Thanks for stopping by to check them out. Come on back any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment