Wednesday, April 6, 2011

One Way to Reduce the UFO Count...

Right near the end of last year (2010), I learned of the existence of Gladys. Gladys lives in Des Moines, sews like the wind, and has a knack for taking the orphans, UFOs and other unloved or incomplete quilty items of others, and turning them into wonderful quilts. In January, I sent her a box full of things -- blocks from swaps that were never going to become quilts in my house, a false start on a serialized project from Quilter's Newsletter from about 15 years ago, a Round Robin top I just never did feel the love for, and other things. Yesterday, I put together another box to send her. There's a quilt top that one of my water aerobics instructors gave me, that I told her I'd finish and donate, a small top I started in a Mary Ellen Hopkins workshop back in 2000, some orphan block-of-the-month kits from a shop owned by a friend in Ohio from when she was cleaning up her back room, and four quilt tops.

This first one is a pattern called "Pandora's Box," from Pam and Nicky Lintott's first book, Jelly Roll Quilts. I made this one on a retreat weekend in about 2008. It measures about 52"x77".

This next, wrinkled, one is a Thimbleberries pattern. I can't remember the name of it, nor for sure which book it came from, but I think it came from one of the three hardbound books she did. The pattern called for applique in the background areas, but instead I used a patterned background, and omitted the applique. I made this one in 1999, as part of the Thimbleberries Club at Abigayle's Quiltery. This one measures right around 69" square.


This next one was a kit I got from a shop in Chillicothe, Ohio, Creations Sew Clever. It's all in brushed cottons, and the appliques are fused and blanket-stitched by machine. I made this one on my own at home, in about 2000 or 2001. It measures about 52"x60".

Finally, this was the New Year's Eve mystery 2008 by Ann Smith, presented to several Yahoo groups, among them Fabricaholics Anonymous. I didn't get the measurements of this one, but it's a large twin. I've had this top finished for probably close to 3 years now, except for the borders, which just recently finally got added.



I know Gladys will have these quilted and bound and donated almost before I can blink! I'm happy that they'll be fulfilling their intended purpose, spreading warmth and comfort. I'm also happy to be able to reduce my UFO list a bit.

Thanks for coming by to play! Come back again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment